Handling Slab Leaks in Your Home
What Causes Slab Leaks?
There are 3 main causes for a system to have slab leaks. The following are the main causes:
1. Leaking due to corrosion; Corrosion may come from the contact with soil on the outside of the pipe along with water on the inside. The build up may cause holes in the pipes.
2. Leaking caused from abrasion; The water will travel through plumbing system. A vibration from this may cause the pipe to rub against concrete and other pipes. This will occur over a period of time and the vibration and abrasion on the pipe m,ay cause it to spring a leak.
3. Leaks caused from pressure; There are numerous reasons that a pipe might experience extreme levels of pressure. It may be due to poor construction standards or earthquakes etc. A pipe can be creased or crushed under this kind of pressure. If a bend, crimp, or crease occurs it may lead to uneven wear. This will most likely create a hole in these particular areas. The end result may even cause a massive leak which will place the property in risk.
These are 3 sample reasons that may cause slab leaks.
How Do I Know If I Have a Slab Leak?
There are some very good tips that may alert you to the fact that you might have a slab leak. The following are signs to look for:
1. Increase in your water bill for no apparent reason. This might be a clue to alert you that there is a slab leak. If there have not been any water usage changes and the water bill suddenly is higher.
2. If you can hear water running while there is none being used. Checking the water meter for any movement will offer more clues. If the meter is moving while there is no water running this may be a slab leak.
3. Hot spots can be felt on the floor or carpet.
It should be known that a slab leak may come in several forms. If a slab leak is found and then repair quickly then less damage will occur.
How Much Time Will it Take to Repair?
A professional may be able to fix a slab leak in 1/2 day. It could take as many as 3 days to repair. This will depend on how much damage has been caused.
Don't let a Slab Leak take over your home! Call Captain Rooter at (773) 840-7800 right away for the best services in the Oak Park area.